From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ansible, puppet and chef
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:44:44
1 Anyone here used ansible and at least one of puppet/chef?
2
3 What are your thoughts?
4
5 I've made several attempts over the years to get puppet going but never
6 really got it off the ground. Chef I stay away from (likely due to the
7 first demo of it I saw and how badly that went....)
8
9 Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
10 Not so much for ~20 or so. Plus puppet's language and configs get large
11 and hard to keep track of - lots and lots of directory trees with many
12 things mentioning other things. (Nagios has the same problem if you
13 start keeping host, services, groups and commands in many different files)
14
15 I've stumbled upon ansible, it seems much better than puppet for
16 smallish sites with good odds I might even keep the whole thing in my
17 head at any one time :-)
18
19 Anyone care to share experiences?
24 Alan McKinnon