From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox vm no boot
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 01:09:28
1 On Dec 6, 2011 8:00 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Claudio Roberto França Pereira <spideybr@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > From the first post, you've ran, under grub, setup (hd0,0). This
6 > > installs grub on the first partition boot loader, you want to install
7 > > it on the DISK boot loader, on the MBR. Maybe gparted fixed that for
8 > > you. The correct way would be to run:
9 > > root (hd0,0) //indicate where grub stage 1.5 and 2 are.
10 > > setup (hd0) //install grub's stage 1 on the MBR.
11 >
12 > That was a nice catch ... I sure did F___ this up from beginning to
13 > end. Relying on memory let me do setup (hd0,0) which like you say is
14 > really wrong. And what makes it worse is that the install
15 > documentation tells you exactly what to run... I didn't even look,
16 > just thought I `remembered'
19 Age is a harsh mistress :-)
20
21 > > About the second error, the kernel is definitely detecting your sata
22 > > controller, the partitions are all there. It seems that you missed to
23 > > append the root=/dev/sda3 to the kernel parameters, under grub.conf.
24 >
25 > Another good catch, and I caught it too, at some point.
26 >
27 > > In the end, I'd recommend disabling ext2 fs support in the kernel too,
28 > > and use ext4 to mount ext2 and ext3 file systems.
29 >
30 > Why is that?
31
32 ext4 driver is perfectly capable of mounting ext2/3, so you'll save memory.
33 And before btrfs matures, you can expect the kernel people to optimize ext4
34 to hell and back.
35
36 I'm not (yet) aware of any additional benefits.
37
38 Rgds,