From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qt blocks, poppler, etc.
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 08:44:31
1 On Sunday 05 July 2009 04:14:46 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I am trying to install cb2bib from an overlay. The ebuild is on
3 > gentoo bugs. On this machine, over time, I have gotten qt to settle
4 > down, but now it's a mess. I have tried to install some dependencies
5 > with emerge -1 , but since I have too little understanding of that
6 > issue, didn't do that for all. Now qt-core has downgraded.
7 >
8 > After installing (emerge -1) apps-text/poppler, then dev-libs/poppler
9 > 0.10.7 installed ok. So I'm starting to understand how that works.
10 > Can I also install x11-libs/qt-core-4.5.1 by oneshot, and then install
11 > x11-libs/4.5.2?
12 >
13 > This cyclical bunch of blocks has hit me many, many times, and I was
14 > glad to discover that at least part of the problem was surmountable.
15
16 First, unmask portage. The maintainer masked the 2.2_rc versions so that
17 2.1.6* could get more testing. portage-2.2 can automatically resolve those
18 blockers so you don't have to.
19
20 All those packages you mention are libs. You should never have to merge them
21 manually, you should never have them in world - that's just asking for
22 trouble. Remove them from world if they are there.
23
24 Tip: When you need support with blockers, always post the relevant emerge
25 output and don't try to guess. This usually gets you an answer. Not posting
26 the output gets you ignored, or a request to post the output. Either way, you
27 should just post the output.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com