From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 20:27:58
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:58:55 -0400
2 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Do you have the "OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems"
5 > firefox add-on installed (I think it comes with firefox). I have it
6 > but I still don't have H.264 checked on that page and I can't play
7 > some H.264 videos like this one
8 > https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us. If you have it,
9 > do you mind disabling it to check if that's where you're getting
10 > H.264 support from?
11
12 I don't understand all the details -- not by a long stretch -- but
13 AIUI, the Cisco thing makes it possible to use H.264 for real-time
14 video chat, called WebRTC by the W3C and "Firefox Hello" by Mozilla.
15
16 Judging by Alan's USE flags, it's not available for Fx 31.x. In later
17 versions gmp-autoupdate controls it -- with that flag set, Firefox
18 will silently download the thing and updates to it from Cisco. Mozilla
19 won't bundle it because it's patent-encumbered. It comes from Cisco as
20 a binary.
21
22 There's also media-plugins/gmp-openh264, which I guess means the Gentoo
23 devs hope to offer it built from source -- I haven't looked at the
24 ebuilds.
25
26 > I have no problems playing youtube videos without it (both HTML5 and
27 > Flash) and I don't have gstreamer enabled on firefox.
28
29 That makes me worried I gave Alan a bum steer.