From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tape to CD conversion advice needed
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:06:43
1 On Jul 23, 2005, at 3:34 AM, Dave S wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I need some advice, I need to convert some talks at my local group
6 > from
7 > tape to CD. I have a mike input on my audio card so connecting the
8 > audio
9 > should not be a problem.
10
11 I believe that the mic input is handled differently than the line
12 input (automatic gain control, decibel boosts, etc.). Use your
13 card's line input jack instead. It should be right next to the mic
14 jack. In most color schemes, it's usually the blue one (red=mic,
15 green=out); read the labels if you're not sure.
16 >
17 > What file formats do standard CD players play ? I would guess mp3 but
18 > there do not appear to be any mp3 encoders for linux, ogg would be
19 > great
20 > but I doubt that it would play.
21
22 Standard CD players play waveform audio (WAV), but I believe it needs
23 to be aligned to the CD block boundaries. However, you'll need to
24 burn it as an audio CD, not a data CD, otherwise it will be
25 unreadable to the CD player. Most CD players nowadays can play back
26 MP3 data CD's but there's no standard, not even a de facto one, for
27 this.
28
29 Dare I say it? Most people do have computers, so if your local group
30 doesn't make "Learn [subject] While Driving" tapes, it may be cheaper
31 and easier to simply forgo the physical medium and stick them on a
32 web server for downloading/streaming/podcasting. MP3's of people
33 talking don't require the higher bitrates that music does, so you can
34 drop the bitrate and change it to mono (one-channel audio) to save
35 some server space/bandwidth.
38 > Can anyone suggest an application to get the files from the tape &
39 > change them into said format ? (Simple is good, I dont need a
40 > recording
41 > studio :))
42
43 Anything that can listen to your card's line-in will do. I haven't
44 done it on Linux, but on Windows/Mac OS X, pretty much any program
45 will do it. As for burning, most programs that can burn an audio CD
46 take MP3/WAV/OGG/WMA/AAC files (your choices may vary depending on
47 the app) as input and do the conversion themselves behind the scenes
48 before burning.
49 --
50 Colin
51 --