From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restricting Firefox website access
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:53:53
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 January 2009 20:12:06 Grant wrote:
3 >
4 >>> This requires only that the computer in question has a static IP or a
5 >>> permanent lease (so you always know what it is), and you know the IP of
6 >>> the web sites to be accessed (dig is a very good friend). Allow these,
7 >>> deny everything else to destination port 80.
8 >> That sounds good, but I won't be able to fetch all updates that
9 >> portage might want, right?
10 >
11 > There's always a wrinkle isn't there?
12 >
13 > I find in real terms that my machines get all their updates from gentoo.org or
14 > from the gentoo mirror on the ftp server at work. That works for me, if those
15 > two mirrors both fail, I have problems that a change of GENTOO_MIRRORS will
16 > not solve.
17 >
18 > Perhaps the same is true of your environment. Failing that, I think you need
19 > to haul out the big guns, along with the big administration burden, and run
20 > an http proxy
23 I setup my squid proxy probably 5 years ago, I moved the config over
24 when I switched to gentoo a couple of years ago, and it still works.
25
26 I would say I spend around 10 minutes a year performing admin tasks on
27 my (home) squid server.
28
29 I just wanted to let it be said that squid doesn't have to be a big burden.
30
31 Matt