From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:34:05
1 On 31/10/17 00:09, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
4 > the issue is with plugging one thing, into another, into another and
5 > then into the wall, most outlet strips are cheap, they don't use proper
6 > sockets and often have/develop a significant resistance, which creates a
7 > hazard etc.
8
9 In the UK at least also, we have ring mains. These are rated at 30 Amps,
10 from which you can take a 13 Amp feed from any socket. Once you start
11 taking power over multiple leads the wiring has more resistance, plugs
12 introduce resistance, etc, and the voltage can drop rapidly.
13
14 (It is mandatory, according to code, if you hard-wire a feed off a ring
15 you must separate it with a 16 Amp fuse.)
19 > There are actually multistage devices that can protect low voltage lines
20 > (i.e. control lines on a transmitter tower) from a direct lightning
21 > strike assuming they have a good enough ground connection. of course
22 > it's likely to destroy the surge arrestor, which isn't cheap, but it
23 > protects far more expensive equipment when it self sacrifices.
24 >
25 I've never seen one, but I would have thought a motor/generator pair
26 with a hefty flywheel would provide very good surge/spike/whatever
27 protection, and provide nice clean power. Plus, it would be unlikely to
28 burn out if you had to provide protection from several big consecutive
29 shocks, like a lightning strike.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Wol