From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vixie-cron not sending mail
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:09:38
1 On 2008-09-05, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've set the MAILTO env variable in my crontab, but vixie-cron
3 > still isn't sending e-mails. I've verfied that I'm able to
4 > send email with /usr/sbin/sendmail (both with and without -t).
5 >
6 > I re-emerged vixie-cron with the debug USE flag, but it didn't
7 > seem to produce any debug info that I can find anywhere.
8 >
9 > How do I convince vixie-cron to produce some debug output
10 > so that I can figure out why it's not sending e-mails?
11
12 I've narrowed it down a little. I'm using msmtp as an MTA. I
13 normally don't have a global /etc/msmtprc configuration file --
14 I have per-user ~/.msmtprc files. I first assumed that cron
15 was sending mail as the owner of the cron file (that owner has
16 a working msmtp config file). That appears not to be true.
17
18 Next, I tried setting up msmtp config files for users root and
19 cron. Both those configurations work fine. But, cron still
20 can't send mail.
21
22 If I set up a globally readable msmtp config file in /etc, then
23 cron can send mail. That's not really acceptible, since here
24 is sensitive information in that config file, and I don't want
25 just any random user account to be able to send mail.
26
27 I'm rather baffled as to what user and home directory cron is
28 running with when it tries to send mail. It's neither the
29 crontab owner, nor root, nor cron. I've been able to find very
30 little documentation on vixie-cron other than a superficial man
31 page.
34 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Did YOU find a
35 at DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box
36 visi.com of VELVEETA?