From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 21:26:05
1 On 2/27/20 2:51 PM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > * aisha@×××××.cc:
3 >
4 >> I'm not too sure that running it as a mail server is impossible.
5 >
6 > I never wrote that it is impossible, only that "I would not use it as an
7 > Internet-facing production Mailserver". That's a huge difference. You
8 > are free to do as you wish, but I still consider it an unsuitable role
9 > for a wee Rasberry Pi, considering the I/O load I see on our production
10 > mail servers. SD-Cards really don't like this sort of thing.
11 >
12 > -Ralph
15 Yea, I was not clear. I'd run the mail-server, on a 'cluster' (4 or
16 more), not an individual pi-board unless it was beef up, processor and
17 ram wise. Gig E would also be on my list.
18
19 There are also embedded boards, that can run gentoo, with up to 16 Gigs
20 of DDR4 ram and better internal hardware for threads and such.....
21
22 I certainly, did not mean to offend you, so apologies galore. I'm not
23 into running a mail server for more than a dozen folks and an ity-bity
24 company of just one....
25
26 SD card? I'd find an embedded-board that runs (8Gbyte)DDR4 ram, so
27 writes to the storage is very fast. It's a bit too detailed to look at
28 the plethora of hardware available, that one can get for embedded
29 projects and the matching (sensitive) price points. No need to go there
30 (its a morass).
33 thanks,
34 James