From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:46:24
1 On Monday 25 April 2011 18:37:31 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On a typical Cisco router you should be able to download/edit/upload
4 > > the configuration file from/to the router using tftp and a text
5 > > editor, or minicom and a serial cable if the router has a serial
6 > > port,
7 >
8 > When I export the config file, its a binary file, not accessible by
9 > text editor.
10
11 Huh? This is rather strange. It *should* be a plain text file ... o_O
12
13 Would it require some expensive Cisco desktop application to be able to
14 read/edit it off the machine?!
17 > Thanks for the site. After looking around there a while I'm not
18 > seeing how to gain a terminal to execute any ios commands.
19 >
20 > Neither ssh or telnet are accepted at the router.
21
22 Please try using your browser first to enable telnet:
23
24 http://$ROUTER_IP/Hidden_telnet.htm
25
26 ====================================
27 WARNING!
28
29 I'm not sure if this service will be firewalled on the Internet side of your
30 network! I've heard stories where access is opened on the public network and
31 is unprotected. Disconnect your router from the Internet before you try this.
32 ====================================
33
34 According to this document there should be a page where you can enable/disable
35 IP services:
36
37 http://tools.cisco.com/search/display?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cisco.com%2Fen%2FUS%2Fdocs%2Frouters%2Fcsbr%2Frvs4000%2Fadministration%2Fguide%2FRVS4000_AG_OL-22605.pdf&pos=2&strqueryid=2&websessionid=1ZZPcuEr9CUldszOmUrXpJy
38
39 Not sure if applicable to your router.
42 > Surely its not really necessary to use a special cable and minicom?
43
44 I had a look and can't see a serial port on your machine, so minicom will not
45 be of use in this case.
48 > A search of the full manual on `ssh' or tftp for that matter, turns up
49 > no hits.
50 >
51 > Even the term `command line' turns up nothing useful in the admin
52 > manual.
53 >
54 > If I enable `remote admin' it is clearly intended for browser access
55 > on port 8080, and again no obvious route to any cli opportunities. In
56 > fact its not clear even how to connect via a browser for remote admin.
57 >
58 > After turning remote admin on, and setting a single IP address to be
59 > able to connect... I still cannot access it for remote admin on 8080.
60
61 Did you try this from the Internet, or from within your LAN?
64 > I'm probably jumping the gun, but this RVS4000 is looking more and
65 > more like some pretty sorry junk to me.
66
67 I can but sympathise with your frustration. They seem to have offered a
68 dumbed down version of something here which is not readily recognisable as a
69 Cisco machine. Perhaps all this additional functionality is only available
70 for their professional grade platforms?
73 Regards,
74 Mick