From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo list stats?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:49:51
1 090903 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I'm wondering whether these stats are correct?
3 > They are captured from http://archives.gentoo.org/
4 > I find them a bit disappointing. I was surprised
5 > how much email traffic has fallen off for the Gentoo lists
6 > over the last couple of years. I suspect some of this
7 > is folks moving to less technical environments - maybe Ubuntu or Arch -
8 > but still I was surprised that it was something like a 60 % drop
9 > since the high in 2006. I was also surprised at the drop on gentoo-dev
10 > as it correlates with my impression of bugs not being addressed as fast.
11 >
12 > gentoo-dev gentoo-user gentoo-amd64
13 > 2009 3743 11126 1519
14 > 2008 5379 15269 1418
15 > 2007 8480 13643 1977
16 > 2006 10184 25954 4038
17 > 2005 9055 15378 1880
18 > 2004 8569 545 27
19 > 2003 8324
20 > 2002 8156
21 > 2001 5679
22 > 2000 4
23
24 First, you need to adjust 2009 by 3/2 , ie
25
26 2009 5615 16689 2279
27
28 which shows a significant increase this year in all 3 categories.
29
30 Otherwise, I agree with the other comments, ie that Gentoo has matured:
31 Portage is more user-friendly, big changes like Udev have been accomplished,
32 people who shouldn't be using Gentoo have dropped out
33 & the few devs who were responsible have stopped flaming one another
34 (or perhaps do so on a non-public list somewhere else);
35 it may also be true that the Forum has taken away a lot of users,
36 who seem on average younger (it sounds like a high-school cafeteria).
37
38 Quality is what matters & I'ld say it has improved in recent years.
42 SUPPORT ___________//___ Philip Webb
43 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
44 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca