From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] webcam software
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:52:18
1 On Tue, Jan 21 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Jan 18 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Jan 18, 2014 4:02 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> My main system is a dell latitude E6430s. I am embarrassed to say
9 >>>> that, although I have had this system for a while, I just now realized
10 >>>> that it has a build in webcam. What software do you recommend and what
11 >>>> should I start reading to learn how to use it.
12 >>>
13 >>> To play with it, and of you already use GNOME, I recommend Cheese. It's
14 >>> actually fun to use.
15 >>>
16 >> Thank you canek (and walt, james, and eroen) but I didn't make clear the
17 >> level of my ignorance. I have never used a webcam, but I recently
18 >> became a grandfather so figured I should learn. I must need a driver
19 >> for the camera. According to lsusb I have
20 >>
21 >> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:646b Microdia
22 >> (the 400 line verbose output is at the end of this msg).
23 >>
24 >> [snip]
25 >>
26 >> But, as I mentioned, I am a complete novice with webcams and wonder if I
27 >> am way off base here. Is the above the right path to follow?
28 >
29 > [Humongous snip]
30 >
31 > Ah, you need first the drivers then. Don't bother with out-of-tree
32 > drivers. Try (directly in your kernel) USB_VIDEO_CLASS (a.k.a. UVC),
33 > CONFIG_USB_GSPCA, and if that doesn't work enable all of
34 > CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_*. Mine works only with CONFIG_USB_GSPCA.
35 >
36 > After loading the modules, or booting with the new kernel, see if you
37 > have /dev/v4l (it's a dir). Then any modern software (e.g., Cheese or
38 > google-talkplugin) will autodetect the camera.
39 >
40 > Regards.
41
42 Sounds like a plan.