From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox managed by my organization?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:31:01
1 On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 20:59:53 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 07:12:35PM +0100, n952162 wrote
3 >
4 > > On 2020-03-04 17:14, Daniel Frey wrote:
5 > > > It will go away but allowing Firefox to self-update on Gentoo will get
6 > > > you a very broken Firefox as the ebuilds have gone away from large
7 > > > monolithic builds to linking to local system libraries. Not recommended!
8 > > >
9 > > > Dan
10 > >
11 > > Ah, good point. But I should be able to do the same thing from with
12 > > "preference" somewhere, I suspect.
13 >
14 > A Pale Moon user here. We get the same warnings about not building
15 > Pale Moon with system libs (item 5
16 > https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20885 ). Since PM is a
17 > Firefox fork, it inherits a lot of the same behaviour. I notice that
18 > doing "emerge -pv firefox" shows the following default USE flags...
19 >
20 > system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent
21 > system-libvpx system-sqlite system-webp
22 >
23 > Over-riding them in package.use, that should prevent the problems.
24
25 I haven't yet given Palemoon a spin and consequently have no experience of it.
26 How does it compare to FF? I am curious as to security and performance
27 comparisons.
28
29 What is the recommended way to install in Gentoo? I noticed the palemoon
30 overlay has ebuilds for source and binary options. Would they differ in
31 performance terms on an old AMD powered laptop?