From: Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] help installing Gentoo on Asus Transformer T101HA
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:08:32
1 On venerdì 29 dicembre 2017 03:40:46 CET Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 12/28/17 12:36, Stefano Crocco wrote:
3 > > Hello to everyone,
4 > > I'm trying to install Gentoo on an Asus Transformer T101HA and there are
5 > > some issues I'd need help with.
6 > >
7 > > First of all, I must say that many things worked fairly easily. I
8 > > performed
9 > > the installation from a SysrescueCD USB stick where almost everything,
10 > > including WiFi and touchscreen, worked out of the box (aside from having
12 > > find out how to rotate the screen, both in X and in framebuffer).
13 > >
14 > > After installing everything (of course, compiling all packages on my
15 > > desktop machine), there are still some things which don't work. One is
16 > > the touch screen but, given that it worked using the SysrescueCD stick,
17 > > I'm not worried too much about it (besides, I'm not planning to use it
18 > > much).
19 > >
20 > > The most troublesome issues, right now, are the sound card and the SD card
21 > > reader. Both of them simply don't seem to exist: they didn't work with the
22 > > SysrescueCD stick, I can't find any mention of either of them in the
23 > > output of dmesg, lspci and lsusb and Google gave pratically no answer.
24 > > I'm starting to think neither of them is supported with Linux but I
25 > > haven't been able to find any definitive information about this. I tried
26 > > activating all kernel options I could find which seemed vaguely related
27 > > to them, but to no effect.
28 > >
29 > > Unfortunately, I haven't been able even to find out the exact models of
30 > > the
31 > > cards. All I know is that (according to Windows 10) the sound card is an
32 > > Intel SSt Audio Device (WDM), while the codec is a Realtek I2S Audio
33 > > Codec. I have no information at all on the SD card reader. The
34 > > motherboard, according to lshw, is a T101HA by AUSTeK.
35 > >
36 > > I attach my last version of the kernel config (using gentoo-sources-4.14.9
37 > > which, I just found out, now seems to be masked).
38 > >
39 > > I'd be glad for any hint about these issues. I spent all of this afternoon
40 > > trying to solve them and I can't really think what else I could try.
41 > >
42 > > Thanks in advance
43 > >
44 > > Stefano
45 >
46 > Hmm, after googling it seems some of those Transformer models are not
47 > linux friendly. There are reports of no driver for the SD card reader
48 > and models earlier than yours needed firmware to use the sound card.
49 >
50 > You might be able to use hints from:
51 >
52 > https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA
53 >
54 > to get the sound working, even though the model is older than yours.
55 >
56 > Dan
57
58 Thanks for the answer.
59 Unfortunately, the hints on the page you linked didn't work. The firmware on
60 that page is already included in linux-firmware (unless I'm missing something,
61 of course). I tried compiling it in the kernel, but with no result. I believe
62 the problem is something other than missing firmware, because I see no messages
63 about failures to load firmware in dmes.
64
65 I just noticed there are some audio-related messages in dmesg which I hadn't
66 noticed before:
67
68 [drm] HDaudio controller not detected, using LPE audio instead
69 cht-bsw-rt5645: ASoC: CODEC DAI snd-soc-dummy-dai not registered
70 cht-bsw-rt5645: snd_soc_register_card failed -517
71
72 I don't know whether they're significant or they're spurious messages caused by
73 my including every possible sound card drivers in the kernel.
74
75 I fear you're right about this Transformer not being linux friendly: I just
76 found out that it doesn't recognize the power button, either.
77
78 I think right now I need a break from this machine: I've alread spent about
79 three days working on it and I have other things to do. I'll try to rebuild a
80 kernel from scratch in a few days; in the meanwhile I'll use it as it is.
81
82 Thanks again
83
84 Stefano