From: TN <tnuro@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:47:46
1 I'm a bit late into this thread, but I built my own from a kit available
2 here in Australia.
3 It's a design from a local magazine called Silicon Chip, and retails
4 through a few places, like DSE & Altronics (www.altronics.com.au)
5 http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44e509be0969bde4273fc0a87f9c0731/Product/View/K7217
6
7 It's an expensive kit though and you need to fo through a calibration
8 setup where you put a purely resistive high load on (so that the PF=1.0,
9 I used a domestic fanless heater). It's easy enough, but if you're not
10 experienced it is a potentially dangerous exercise. You can buy cheaper
11 killawatt type of devices, but I don't know how good they are in
12 comparison this this unit I built.
13 Powerfactors must be taken into account and I believe some of the real
14 cheap units may not be accurate with inductive/capacitive loads. Switch
15 mode power supplies are also notoriously difficult to accurately measure
16 - but near enough might be good enough for most people.
17
18 There's a cheap unit which I'm going to buy from Jaycar to compare to my
19 kit, but this will have Australian pins on it since it's a wallbug one
20 like Killawatt. The kit I built was good this way - you just bought a
21 short extension lead and cut it in half to use as male & female for your
22 country.
23 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6115&CATID=&keywords=power+meter&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
24
25 As a matter of interest, I have a 2.6GHz P4 (not HT) with 3 HDD's in it,
26 and the PC alone consumes around 90W while idle, with no HDD access, 2
27 of the 3 drives are in standby too.
28 Compare this 90W to my windows box which is a P4 3.2GHz machine with a
29 Radeon 9800 Pro video card - this machine consumes 170-180W idling, and
30 almost 300W while playing a game (ie. CPU & GPU loaded).
31
32 Also, my TV/DVD player/amplifier/VCR combination consumes 30W when
33 everything is 'off', and only 100W when it's all going. So these days I
34 turn my whole setup off overnight and most of the day until I actually
35 use them in the evenings.....so if my system is off for 10 hours, it
36 effectively means that I've saved 300Wh, which can run my system for 3
37 hours (more than I actually watch per day!) Sure, it costs cents to run,
38 but in a quarterly bill you do actually see the difference, plus every
39 kWh creates around 0.6kg of emissions (US average, I don't have figures
40 for my own country)
48 Ow Mun Heng wrote:
49 > Hi Guys,
50 >
51 > I know this is VERY OT. I have a Gentoo Server running at Home 24/7 and
52 > there's a possiblity that it's really eating up my energy bill.
53 >
54 > I've seen the Kill-A-Watt
55 > http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/ but it's a 120V US
56 > Version.
57 >
58 > I'm looking for a 240V Version. Would anyone here know where to get one?
59 >
60 > The Server is an old DELL PowerEdge 4300 w/ 2x350Mhz Procs and 1GB Mem
65 Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list