From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32/64bit confusion
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:45:36
1 On 8/24/2010 4:53 PM, tparker@××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > I have a new (first) gentoo amd64 install, multilib, and have been
3 > searching the docs, forums and google for information on how to handle
4 > emerges for 32bit programs on the 64bit install.
5 >
6 > I have found some references to using -bin for 32bit programs (example:
7 > "emerge wine-bin" to get the 32bit version or "emerge wine" to get the
8 > 64 bit version) but I haven't been able to get that to work; emerge
9 > wine-bin returns: 'emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "wine-bin".'
10 > Searches didn't turn up examples or explanations to help me find what I
11 > am doing wrong.
12
13 Only a select number of packages in portage have binary editions that
14 are separate from the main source package. Since you're building from
15 source, very few programs actually need to be 32-bit apps on a 64-bit
16 OS. I count a total of 77 "*-bin" packages in the entire portage tree,
17 over half of which are closed-source games or Java applications.
18
19 Wine is a special case, since portage will happily build a 64-bit
20 version, but it's only mildly functional. In this case, the Wine
21 package maintainer has set up the ebuild to build 32-bit by default,
22 even on an amd64 profile. (If you specify USE=win64 you'll also get a
23 64-bit version of Wine but that's mostly for devs to play with.) So you
24 should just be able to:
25
26 emerge wine
27
28 and let it go.
29
30 > I also found references to making a chroot environment to use when
31 > running the 32bit programs, but they all made it sound like a short step
32 > from a dualboot - that I would not be able to use anything in my 64bit
33 > environment while that was running. For example, having a 32bit program
34 > running in windowed mode through wine while I have 64 bit work programs
35 > running on the same desktop, or 32 bit firefox (for flash) with the rest
36 > of the system 64bit.
37
38 IMO setting up a 32-bit chroot should be a last resort. An x86_64 CPU
39 and 64-bit OS should have no problem running 32-bit x86 binaries. If
40 you need to run 32-bit applications that you cannot get built through
41 portage, there is a whole list of packages
42 (app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-*) that have prebuilt binaries for things
43 like GTK, QT, SDL, etc. (The packages in portage, including Wine, will
44 install the ones it needs automatically.)
45
46 --Mike