From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:03:08
1 On Mittwoch 18 Februar 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 16:24:45 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
5 > >
6 > > wrote:
7 > >> > G'day,
8 > >> >
9 > >> > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing
10 > >> > my new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in
11 > >> > use. Right after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not
12 > >> > seeing anything out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue
13 > >> > with legacy usb and sd and sr drivers in the kernel ).
14 > >> >
15 > >> > I had Ubuntu on this thing for a week or so as I needed something
16 > >> > quick fast when my workstation chipfan died on me and this wasn't an
17 > >> > issue when I had that installed so I think I can rule out hardware.
18 > >> > Also, its not an issue when I boot up via live cd ( sysrescuecd ).
19 > >> >
20 > >> > I've tried different cpufreq governors ( default is ondemand ) and
21 > >> > that doesn't appear to be an issue.
22 > >> >
23 > >> > Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
24 > >> >
25 > >> > Thanks.
26 > >>
27 > >> I've never known what those numbers represent (I know it is "load
28 > >> average", but what it means, and what is the range, I have no idea)...
29 > >> Anyway, it seems mine are always around 1+. It's not perfectly idle
30 > >> but not running seti or anything intensive either.
31 > >
32 > > I remember trying to google the meaning of those numbers once. It was
33 > > VERY hard to find out what they were. It's something like, average number
34 > > of processes in the running or ready to run states for the last 1, 5 & 15
35 > > minutes.
36 >
37 > I just ignore them because they are meaningless to me. The active CPU
38 > percentages seem to be based in Earthly reality. :)
39 >
40 > Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain what a "1" means versus
41 > a "2" or whatever.
42
43 AFAIR:
44 it is the number of process/task ready to run at the same time. 1 means there
45 is one task that 'wants' to run/is running, 2 are two and so forth.