From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT : DSL modems & changing ISP
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:22:11
1 080826 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-08-25, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 >> I've decided to change my ISP from Sympatico to Uniserve
4 >> & need to check a couple of things re which others may have advice.
5 >> (1) the best option seems to be to buy a DSL modem: Uniserve offers
6 >> Zoom x4 ADSL : <= 8 Mbit/s (up 1 Mbit/s )
7 >> www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html#5651 : "works w Linux"
8 >> My understanding is that the kernel talks to the ethernet chip
9 >> on the mobo, which in turn talks to the DSL modem, so there is
10 >> no problem of having a DSL modem which Linux cannot work with.
11 >> Am I correct ?
12 > The Zoom x4 DSL modem is an IP NAT/firewall/router.
13 > It contains a DHCP server, and Linux will work with it just fine.
14
15 Thanks & to the other respondents as well (big smile).
16
17 I'm being very careful to minimise downtime or gotchas,
18 as the Internet has become 3rd in life after breathing & beer ...
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca