From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB permission/owner - change not allowed as root
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 04:06:06
1 Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 12/29/13 21:41, Dale wrote:
4 > >Joseph wrote:
5 > >> After recent upgrade when I mount my USB and try as root:
6 > >>
7 > >> chown joseph:users /media/stick/Ancient-Electricity_new.ppt chown:
8 > >> changing ownership of ‘/media/stick/Ancient-Electricity_new.ppt’:
9 > >> Operation not permitted
10 > >>
11 > >> file ownership is:
12 > >> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5796864 Mar 6 2013 Ancient-Electricity_new.ppt
13 > >>
14 > >
15 > >Is it mounted Read Only? It's the only thing I can think of. I'm not
16 > >sure if that would keep it from changing it if it is either.
17 > >
18 > >Dale
19 > >
20 > >:-) :-)
21 > >
22 > > --
23 > >I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
26 > When I open the USB stick, it doesn't say anything (on the top) "read only mode".
27
28 What file system on the stick? If it is FAT there is no such thing as ownership.
29 --
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici