From: Joel Merrick <joel@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT (ish): What are the average requirements of a small business server?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:39:50
1 Hello list!!
2
3 With the advent of Vista and all the bells and whistles that it
4 provides, one can't help think that a lot of this functionality is
5 grossly overkill for a small business environment. I've not actually
6 checked how SBS2003 will develop, but I'm sure that it will continue
7 to tow the glitzier line
8
9 Myself and a friend are looking to create a linux based system that
10 contains some of the details what are listed below, but presented in a
11 fashion that is easy for the end user to understand (even easier than
12 webmin!). You see, to some end user I've shown webmin to, they've
13 completely understood the concept, but still lacked some of the
14 technical capability to properly use it and configure their servers as
15 needed.
16
17 Anyway, here is some of the list that we are thinking about implementing:
18
19 * Caching DNS Server
20 * DHCP Server
21 * Iptables firewall / NAT
22 * Content filtering
23 * Local intranet CMS - LAMP-based
24 * Shared wiki and / or blogs
25 * Groupware
26 * Email server
27 * Shared calendars
28 * Spam scanning with mgmnt
29 * LDAP directory server
30 * A/V - clamd
31 * Database server - Mysql
32 * Jabber server
33 * SAMBA File-server
34 * Client auth for Lin / Win clients
35 * Remote mounted home directories
36 * Printer sharing for Lin / Win clients
37 * Terminal Services?
38
39 I realise that these are a lot of services, so let's boil them down to
40 a few essential services
41
42 * File sharing
43 * Print sharing
44 * Email
45 * 'Clean' Internet access to other LAN machines.
48 What I'd be interested in knowing, is people's experience of such
49 small business environments. How much certain aspects are used... such
50 as how much groupware is used etc..
51
52 I'm sure that these are pretty open ended questions with even more
53 open ended answers, but any input would be most welcome
54
55 Thanks!
56 Joel and Mark
57 --