From: Godzil <godzil@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OFF-TOPIC] Best bios type thingy to boot a computer
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 17:41:28
1 I really enjoyed (and still) Open Firmware which was used by Apple on the PowerPC macintosh (starting from the first PCI models up to the latest G5)
2
3 It is a nice environment, with all the capabilities of UEFI with even more as it come for free and directly with a Forth interpreter (basically the CLI is an immediate forth interpreter)
4
5 Was quite nice and tidy, allowing lots of stuff like modifications of the device tree and other nice things.
6
7 Was probably underused by Apple but yet, was the key for a lot of hacks on PPC models!
10 I think it was originated from Sun and use on spark station, not really sure there
11