From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:55:09
1 Hi. I have a crappy mouse made in China. One of its problems is that
2 the mouse pointer sometimes moves even while the mouse is not moving.
3 Usually this manifests by the pointer "shaking", moving back and
4 forward one or two pixels very fast (it looks like some 5 times per
5 second). The worst problem caused by this is that the monitor can
6 wake up at seemingly random times.
7
8 One solution would be to switch off the monitor every time I won't use
9 it for a few minutes, but (AFAIK) this would waste energy and reduce
10 lifetime. I want the DPMS modes of standby, suspend, off.
11
12 Another solution would be to buy another mouse, but this would cost
13 money and would not teach me the solution (this problem can manifest
14 again in the future, with this or another computer).
15
16 So I want a way to tell the kernel or X11 to ignore mouse motion.
17 Either to shut down mouse motion completely, or to allow it but to
18 ignore it for the effect considering the computer as idle. I have
19 performed a quick read of kernel code and of the xorg.conf man page
20 but I see no clue.
21
22 Anybody knows?
25 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds