From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New Install Problems with X
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:27:02
1 On 01/05/2011 06:41 AM, KIM WHALEN wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM, walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 01/04/2011 08:10 AM, KIM WHALEN wrote:
5 >>> I'm trying to do a new install on an amd64 box and there are a lot of problems somewhere between X, Gnome, and the Graphics card. I'm using genkernel so there shouldn't be too much of a problem there.
6 >>>
7 >>> The graphics card as identified by the system is: nVidia Corporation NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE]
8 >>>
9 >>> The base system and xorg-x11 seems to be set up alright. However, when I run startx as a regular
10 >>> user I get errors about drm, dri, and dri2 modules and the screen.
11 >>
12 >> Those drm and dri error messages are normal when using the nvidia drivers, but the screen
13 >> error is not normal. What does it say, exactly? Did you generate your xorg.conf by doing
14 >> Xorg -configure? Are you using an xorg.conf file at all?
15 >>
16 >> The nouveau driver is not nearly ready for prime time yet, so I'd stick with nivida-drivers
17 >> at least until you have everything else working.
18
19 > I am not using the xorg.conf file
20
21 That's fine for starters. You may need to add one later if your mouse or keyboard don't work.
22 (BTW, you need to emerge the xf86-input-evdev driver for the mouse and keyboard if you don't
23 have an xorg.conf).
24
25 > (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jan 5 09:03:31 2011
26 > List of video drivers:
27 > nouveau
28 > nvidia
29 > FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.36-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
30
31 That's definitely a problem. The "no such device" is a bit ambiguous. I'm thinking maybe
32 the nouveau and nvidia drivers are fighting with each other, so neither one can get full
33 control of the video hardware.
34
35 IIRC, if you build the nouveau driver into your kernel, it *will* conflict with the nvidia
36 kernel module. I keep two different kernel config files, one with nouveau, and the other
37 without nouveau for use with the nvidia.ko module.
38
39 Definitely build a kernel without nouveau at least until you get everything else working --
40 and then *re*emerge nividia-drivers after you boot the new kernel. (Compiling/installing
41 a new kernel will delete all of your existing kernel modules including nvidia.ko!)