From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: off topic: rotating a video
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 02:05:58
1 On 17/02/15 03:30, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > I built and tried mplayer. Again not rotated. I ran it from the
3 > terminal. Below is the output up to when I killed it
4 >
5 > Is it possible I did the ffmpeg command wrong?
6
7 Sorry, that was my fault. mplayer doesn't support this :-P mpv does.
8
9 If you want to rotate the video so that all players work, you need to
10 re-encode it. You will lose some quality doing this. And how to encode
11 properly is a huge can of worms to open here (especially since I'm not
12 an expert on this myself.)
13
14 Quick and dirty way:
15
16 ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" out.mp4
17
18 This will probably produce crap. For a better quality encoding, do:
19
20 ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" -vcodec libx264 out.mp4
21
22 For the latter to work, you need to enable the "x264" USE flag of ffmpeg.