From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot System Setup
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:08:08
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Dale [mailto:dalek@××××××××××.net]
3 > Sent: 25 January 2006 06:24
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot System Setup
8 > If grub gets hosed, you can boot a Win 98 CD or a boot floppy and run
9 > fdisk /mbr on it. I recently took a hard drive of mine out
10 > of a friends
11 > computer that was dual booting and that was what I did. Now
12 > windoze XP
13 > boots up like Linux was never there. I'm not sure if you can do that
14 > from the win XP CD or not though. I'm not a windoze person. I don't
15 > have and never had windoze, ever.
16
17 The command fixmbr ran with the WinXP installation CD will reinstall the
18 M$Windoze boot code in the MBR. Similarly the command fixboot will
19 rewrite the partition boot sector if by mistake Grub was installed in
20 the WinXP partition boot sector instead of the MBR. A lot of people
21 unnecessarily reinstall M$Windoze when either of these two little tips
22 could save the day.
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick