From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often do you reboot?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:26:32
1 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:16:19 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Now that I'm basically forced to have a init thingy, that is a
4 > additional reason not to reboot. In the past, another distro, the init
5 > thingy would break and I couldn't boot. I despise having to have a init
6 > thingy. If I ever replace the hard drive that has my OS with a SSD or
7 > something, the separate /usr is gone. Maybe I can ditch the init thingy
8 > at that point.
9
10 init thingies have changed a lot since your Mandr{ake,iva} experiences.
11 The way the kernel handles them is very different and the tools used to
12 build them have changed greatly. Mandrake used their on init thingy
13 builder, as did most distros, whereas we now have a standardised tool
14 that works well in a greater range of situations.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Atheism is a non-prophet organization.