From: "Jonathan A. Kollasch" <jakllsch@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] leap second
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 04:56:48
1 On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:33:26PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > There will be a leap second between 051231 235959 & 060101 000000 .
3 > Does anyone know how the time servers used by NTP handle this ?
4 > Is it just left to the local machine to realise it's 1 sec fast
5 > & adjust over a few hours or does something else alert it to correct things ?
6 > If the former, it could create problems for those running experiments;
7 > if the latter, does anyone know how it is done ?
8 > The last leap second was 1998/9 , before NTP was widely used.
9
10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Unix_time
12
13 These _might_ help you understand this confusing subject. For me
14 they just gave me a headache. The best I can tell POSIX handling
15 of time-keeping is just broken. In short, don't worry too much
16 about it. If you really want to know what time it is use GPS time
17 (a sane TAI-based system), then convert that to UTC.
18
19 Jonathan Kollasch