From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Typewriter sound
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:48:09
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [10-08-18 00:20]:
2 > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > >  on YouTube there was a Blender-2.5 tutorial with audio.
6 > >  There was an interesting detail: While there were spoken
7 > >  instructions one can hear one typing on its keyboard.
8 > >  Each hit on one of the keys made the sound of an old
9 > >  typewriter (no, it was not the sound of the legendary
10 > >  "IBM Model M" keyboard ;) ).
11 > >
12 > >  How can I achieve this?
13 >
14 > I have not tried it, but a Google search showed me this:
15 > http://github.com/colszowka/linux-typewriter
16 >
17 > BTW - I have Unicomp keyboards (modern version of IBM Model M) and
18 > they are loud and awesome ;)
21 Hi,
22
23 thanks a lot for all your help! :)
24
25 I will try it out all ! :))
26
27 By the way (the same way! ;))
28 I am in search of such an "model m" IBM-keyboard. A colleque
29 yesterday calls me and said, that he found one for me in the
30 PC-junk at the basement of the building he is working in.
31 Hopefully it is one which is 1.) fully working and 2.)
32 with german keyboard layout. Fingers crossed.
33
34 Currently I am using a Cherry MX 1000 G80 keyboard -- since
35 15 years now without any kind misfunctional behaviour (I mean:
36 the keyboard shows no misfunction... ;). It is one with
37 a big roung AT-connector (pre PS2-era).
38
39 The typewriter sound "project" is just kind of joke: I am
40 imaging the face of people on the phone, when I say: "Oh,
41 wait a moment...I will look into the database..." and
42 then: "clack, clackclack, clack, clackclackclack" -- they
43 will here a typewriter <grin>.
44
45 Happy hacking!
46 best regards,
47 mcc
48
49 PS: Here is a nice description of the "buckling
50 spring" mechanism in action:
51 http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/25_years_of_the_model_m