From: capsel <capsel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: disappearing hdc
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:30:34
1 2005/9/18, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>:
2 > Well, that should work, but the 'better' way is simply to recompile the
3 > kernel so that ide-cd is statically compiled (* or Y, rather than M),
4 > and then it would be automatically loaded by the kernel when the device
5 > is discovered (which would also tell you if you have a hardware issue,
6 > because the device wasn't discovered during the normal hardware scan the
7 > kernel makes at boot).
8
9 Cd is always detected at boot - when scanning ide's - no matter if I
10 compile ide-cd as module or compile it in. It is not about hardware :)
11 >
12 > What runlevel is hotplug set to run in (rc-update show)? If boot, then
13 > the problem with having the module in /etc/modules.autoload.d is that
14 > the service (hotplug) is running before the module load, whereas if
15 > hotplug is set to run at 'default', it runs *after* the modules in
16 > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 are loaded, or at least that is my
17 > experience.
18 >
19 coldplug is in boot runlevel but is started after loading modules and
20 hotplug "is dead and buried" and... does not do much.
21
22 > But since you aren't likely to be hotplugging your CD device anyway
23 > (unless this is a laptop with an external drive), it just makes more
24 > sense to compile the driver (Device Drivers=> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
25 > support=> Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support) statically (which I thought
26 > was the default kernel config setting anyway) and just let coldplug
27 > handle it.
28 >
29 > HTH,
30 > Holly
31
32 CD-rom is built into laptop...
33 I wanted to load my system faster than with everything compiled into core. :)
35 Is there a way to set this to load magicaly at system boot? I thought
36 that coldplug/holdplug should take care of this.
37
38 Thanks for help :D
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list