From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GPT newbee needs some help
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 18:04:56
1 On Thursday 21 Jul 2016 19:36:51 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > having formatted dozens of hard disks with fdisk, I'm lost with GPT
5 > partitioning.
6 >
7 > My new drive was preformatted for Windows, so I first deleted the two
8 > partitions which were present.
9 > Unfortunately I've used fdisk.
10 > Then I tried to use gdisk. I have created 4 partitions, the first of
11 > which started at sector 2048.
12 > I wrote the partition table back to disk, synced and remove the
13 > (portable USB-) disk from my system.
14 > Then I connected it again.
15 > Now my problem is, that my system only shows /dev/sde and /dev/sde1
16 > whereas I expected to see
17 > /dev/sde1 ,.../dev/sde4 .
18 >
19 > So, what did I miss?
20 >
21 > Many thanks for your help,
22 > Helmut
23
24 Are you sure you wrote the partition to disk? If you pressed "q" to quit the
25 application without first pressing "w" to write your changes to disk your
26 entries would be lost.
27
28 From what you state you have a disk /dev/sde, on which you have created/saved
29 only one partition, /dev/sde1.
32 Regards,
33 Mick