From: gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rate limiting TCP connections...
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:48:14
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >> Maybe I should upgrade to the latest kernel (I'm reluctant to do this
3 >> in a hurry - since I've lost my notes on which kernel options I'd
4 >> activated
5 >>
6 > Copy the current config over and run make oldconfig. There's no need to
7 > take notes when the system keeps track for you
8 >> - and it's a 'live' box I'm using on a day-to-day basis that I'd rather
9 >> not break. Doah!)
10 >>
11 > Installing a new kernel won't cause the old one to break, no matter how
12 > badly you misconfigure it.
13 >
14 Ack. (and thanks) I sort-of knew that... though I'd have had to read the
15 docs to remember "make oldconfig". With systems I need, I'm
16 exceptionally cautious... I've never forgiven myself for the decade's
17 acquisition of 10GB of data... that I accidentally wiped thinking I was
18 backing it up. It's a sinking feeling like no other.
19
20 I'll give the kernel a shot, but only when I've a day or two to recover
21 if I screw-up. :-)