From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox networking
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:06:00
1 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:25:02 +0200
3 > schrieb pat <pat@××××××××.org>:
6 >> Hello,
9 > Hi,
12 >> I'm trying to setup virtualbox networking. I went through the
13 >> tutorial at gentoo wiki, but I have troubles ... obvious :-(
14 >>
15 >> In the howto there's called /sbin/ip, but I have no idea in which
16 >> package this program rise ;-)
19 > you're looking for sys-apps/iproute2.
20 >
21 I also installed VirtualBox, however when the Gentoo wiki suggested I
22 edit a bunch of files in /etc/ I decided to go with the VirtualBox
23 default configuration files; lo-and-behold, it works, Batman!
24 >
25 >> What I need is the bidirectional communication between host and guest.
28 > Sorry, but I can't help you there, though I'm going to sit down and set
29 > that up myself when I have time (this year, I hope ;) ).
30 >
31 I currently have all my virtual machines configured to use the
32 PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973) virtual network adapter. This was because the
33 Intel PRO/1000 virtual network card often mentioned in the Gentoo wiki
34 isn't available for some reason. I have the virtual adapter attached to
35 NAT and I can mount host machines NFS/Samba shares from inside the
36 virtual machine.
37
38 What kind of bidirectional communication are you looking for? I'm sure
39 that if you setup a virtual network adapter that the guest OS recognizes
40 you can SSH from the virtual machine into the host machine, or perhaps
41 this is not what you had in mind.
42
43 I just tested SSH on my Ubuntu virtual machine, and I can SSH into
44 the host machine and other machines on my home network. However,
45 what I *can't* do is ssh into the virtual machine from any computer,
46 including the host machine, on my network. Then again, there may be
47 some sly way to do this that I am not aware of. ;-)
50 I currently run Ubuntu, Windows XP, and Windows Vista in virtual
51 machines. Before the Linux>Windows flame war starts; what is the guest
52 OS you are trying to configure client -> host networking with? If it is
53 a freely available, non-commercial OS, perhaps I can install it for you
54 in my VirtualBox installation and test the functionality you're
55 interested in.
56
57 If you would like any direct help regarding VirtualBox, don't hesitate
58 to send me an email directly.
59
60 Here to help whenever possible,
61 -Hal