From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:09:08
1 On Sunday 18 Aug 2013 20:37:19 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-18 4:40 AM, Alessio Ababilov <ilovegnulinux@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Sure, /lib is affected. This was the idea of FreeDesktop.org's article
4 > > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/,
5 > > and so does my script.
6 >
7 > And so the /usr merge is part and parcel of systemd.
8 >
9 > I'm not afraid that the gentoo council is drinking the kool-aid, it is
10 > as obvious as the nose on my face that they *are*, and as has been said,
11 > unless someone or more people return some sanity to the project, gentoo
12 > will be systemd only sooner rather than later.
13 >
14 > Guess I need to start looking at FreeBSD too... :(
15
16 Having left Slackware for Gentoo more than 10 years ago this is going to feel
17 like a regressive step for me, but if it comes to it I guess I will have to
18 consider it.
19
20 I honestly cannot understand why we/Gentoo are allowing the RHL monolithic
21 development philosophy to break what we have. Is Poettering the only
22 developer available to the Linux world? Are RHL dictating what path Debian
23 and its cousin distros should follow?
26 Regards,
27 Mick