From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc update
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 01:50:20
1 On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:49:12 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > msoulier@anton:~$ equery belongs /usr/include/linux/quota.h
4 > > [ Searching for file(s) /usr/include/linux/quota.h in *... ]
5 > > sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.23-r3 (/usr/include/linux/quota.h)
6 > >
7 > > ulier@anton:~$ uname -a
8 > > Linux anton 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 #9 Sun Nov 23 19:14:08 EST 2008 i686 AMD
9 > > Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
10 > >
11 > > So slightly off but compatible. At some point a newer glibc would simply
12 > > fail to build if it's incompatible then, I assume?
13 >
14 > It is as close to guaranteed to build as you are ever going to get. The public
15 > interface to the kernel via it's headers simply does not change in
16 > incompatible ways.
17 >
18 > But if it ever did, then yes, glibc would fail to build
19
20 This was a doubt of mine. One of the reasons I prefer to use a stable
21 kernel is that I don't know if, when using a newer (and ~x86) kernel,
22 I should also use the corresponding linux-headers version. So you say
23 I can be 99.999% sure that, should I update my kernel (say, to 2.6.28)
24 and meet problems, those will be intrinsic to this kernel version
25 (and possibly to incompatibilities with things like out-of-tree
26 kernel modules), but never because the kernel headers are outdated?
27
28 IOW, the only real problem of using outdated kernel headers is not
29 fully taking advantage of new features?
30
31 I prefer to use stable software anyway, but it is important to know.