From: Chris Atkinson <thirtyyearswar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:30:54
1 On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:39:43 +0200
2 Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 28 October 2006 08:30, Sarah wrote:
5 > > Dotan Cohen wrote:
6 > > > On 23/10/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7
8 > > I can't help thinking the problem lies with my (lack of)
9 > > understanding of samba - our Squeezebox serves up the music from
10 > > the samba share beautifully - so I'm not sure what I'm getting
11 > > wrong in how I mount the share (mounting exactly the same way is
12 > > fine for Rhythmbox) for Amarok to read. Maybe I'll have another go
13 > > one day soon! If anyone has any hot tips or pointers that might
14 > > help, I'd be grateful - I think I'll tear all my hair out if I try
15 > > to emerge it again and end up with big problems with my system (I
16 > > so want to avoid a problem that I'll be doing a full system backup
17 > > before I have a go).
18
19 I have a setup similar to yours, down to the use of Squeezebox. The
20 only difference is that my collection is smaller and of mp3's rather
21 than oggs. Amarok seems to have no real problems with the share.
24 > It seems amarok is a little picky about this.
25 > http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Samba
28 FWIW, here's the relevant entry from my /etc/fstab (all one line in
29 the original):
30
31 //sanguinaria/music /mnt/sanguinaria smbfs
32 credentials=/etc/.samba_credentials,noauto,rw,user,umask=000 0 0
35 > You should be aware that amarok opens all files to read the metadata
36 > (tags) when you add them to the collection. This is done just once,
37 > after that all the metadata is stored in amaroks database.
38
39 There's another possible solution, which is to set up an iTunes server
40 on your filserver machine. I have mt-daapd, the opensource iTunes
41 server, running on my fileserver, so that my wife can easily administer
42 her iPod using WinXP and iTunes.
43
44 Your music on the iTunes server is then also accessible in recent
45 versions of amarok in the "Media Devices" tab.
46
47 It appears that mt-daapd supports ogg (although iTunes qua iTunes
48 doesn't).
49
50 Additional information:
51