From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev upgrade and non-working eth0
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:38:09
1 On 11/27/06, Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 November 2006 07:31, Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > > can see a 75-persistent-net-generator.rules file in there..
4 > >
5 > > Hmm, not sure how I got a 70-persistent-net.rules. There is some
6 > > interaction between that and 75-persistent-net-generator.rules (and
7 > > the /lib/udev/write_net_rules script), but I'm a bit too tired to
8 > > figure it out ATM. It looks like 70-... should be created by the
9 > > write_net_rules script...
12 > RULES_FILE='/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules'
13 >
14 > That's the first line of write_net_rules.
15
16 Right. I just wasn't able to figure out why you didn't already have
17 this file created, nor why my laptop had it but not my desktop.
18
19 So the story is that 75-persistent-net-generator.rules will call the
20 script when ethernet devices are added, and it is up to the
21 write_net_rules script to generate 70-persistent-net.rules. The
22 problem is that when udev starts very early in the boot process, your
23 root filesystem may still be mounted read-only, preventing this file
24 from being created.
25
26 This worked on my laptop, because I added module aliases to prevent
27 udev from coldplugging the ipw3945 driver, since it requires a daemon
28 to be running in order to work and that required /var to be mounted.
29 The module is loaded later in the boot process, after all of the
30 filesystems are mounted read-write, and that allowed udev to create
31 the rules file for me, but only for that adapter.
32
33 The upshot of this is this: by far the easiest way to solve the
34 net-naming problem is to run
35
36 /lib/udev/write_net_rules all_interfaces
37
38 This will generate the rules for all interfaces, and then you can just
39 edit the file to change the names as you like. So I guess I'll know
40 that for the next person that asks. :-P
41
42 -Richard
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list