From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Filesystem permissions
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:41:12
1 Hi list!
2
3 I'm a bit dissatisfied with the way umask and filesystem permissions
4 work and I'd like to know if a) this is due to misunderstanding on my
5 part and/or b) there is a clean workaround I'm unaware of.
6
7 Let's say I have a system with various users working on some sensible
8 data. Therefore I have to set up various security policies regarding
9 file permissions and so forth.
10
11 For example every $HOME-directory should be only readable to the user
12 himself (e.g. for user phil_fl: chown phil_fl:phil:fl; umask 0077 or
13 0007).
14
15 Then there might be a common folder for all users in a specific group
16 as a simple way of sharing files. These shall be accessible by every
17 user in the group but by none else, so for the user phil_fl and the
18 group users: chown phil_fl:users; umask 0007.
19
20 As we see, the umask itself isn't the problem (in this special case)
21 but the group is it, however, there might be cases in which need to
22 change both for special folders. How do I do this without needing any
23 interaction from the users?
24
25 Thanks in advance!
26