From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 06:41:25
1 On 04/05/2015 20:42, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
2 > Greetings gents.
3 >
4 > I may have missed it, but i haven't seen this suggested yet: RAID+LVM.
5 > If you already have a 3TB drive, buy another (or two more) and build a
6 > RAID1 or 5 array on them. Then build your LVM on top of /dev/md0 (or
7 > whatever device your raid is).
8 >
9 > Another approach is ZFS with RAID-Z or similar. I don't know how/if
10 > ZFS splits data among the drives, but i assume it's wise enough to do
11 > so in a way similar to a RAID+LVM combo.
12
13 That's a good analogy. ZFS spreads it's data out across multiple drives
14 using an n-drives for data plus m-drives for parity type setup. And the
15 whole lot forms a storage pool.
16
17 The main difference is that ZFS does all it's checksumming in software,
18 and it's one monolithic system. You can think of it being sort of a
19 combination of RAID and LVM features, but it's not implemented that way.
20
21 > If going RAID, make sure the rpm and cache are the same for
22 > performance's sake, and you can mix and match drives from different
23 > vendors (perhaps you should, to add to the redundancy).
24 >
25 > I don't know about btrfs, seems like it's still in a testing-phase so
26 > i'm not touching it yet.
27 >
28 > Just my 2¢
29 >