From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Human configurable boot loader, OR useful grub2 documentation
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 06:05:39
1 So, is there either a boot loader that a human can configure manually that can handle LUKS partitions?  No uefi, but GPT would be nice.  The grub2 "documentation"  Reads like someone in the later stages of alzheimers' trying to tell you how to get to the moon from scratch?  The grub "legacy" manual was at least usefull, the grub2 manual is incoherent and has no logical structure or explanations in it.  It's insane that a boot loader takes 60 pages to document without actually explaning itself, barely useful as a reference IF you new it anyway.
2
3 Grub2 produces insanely huge configuration files, stuffed with conditionals.  It's obvious even the automatic tools don't know how to configure it, It can't figure out how to boot redcore, on the same drive though it thinks it can.  It thinks you might want to try one version of linux with the ram disk and kernel from another, which doesn't work very well and WHY?
4
5 any links to sane documentation or  sane bootloaders greatly appreciated, it'll be months before i can work on my own bootloader or extend one that makes sense out side of a corporate server farm or randomly assorted desktops that have to all work with the same config file (possibly because grub2 is deciding how to work every time it loads).
6
7 Yeah, I hate grub2.  I"m very willing to learn gentoo,  but it does make some sense and there are articles that actually explain things online.  I can't find anything usefull about grub2 other than "DON'T MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE", if it's not human editable and understandable why even bother to have it in human readable text?
10 "Would you like to see us rule again, my friend?   All you have to do is follow the worms."  Pink Floyd, The Wall, Waiting for the worms