From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix config and update
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 22:29:21
1 On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 9:42 AM Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On 27/11/2022 13:21, John Blinka wrote:
4 >
5 > Systemd stores its *distro*supplied* config files in /usr.
6 >
7 > It stores its user-supplied config files in /etc.
8 >
9 > So when your distro updates systemd, it doesn't go anywhere near your
10 > local changes.
11 >
12 > Dovecot doesn't do it quite the same way, the default distro config
13 > loads a "config.local" file if it exists. So when your distro updates
14 > the master config, your local config is untouched.
15 >
16 > Postfix afaik just has one humungous config file, so when your distro
17 > updates the config, all your local changes are trashed :-(
20 If your goal is to update postfix without clobbering your artfully crafted
21 config file, then that’s what portage has been doing for me quite reliably
22 for the past 20-30 years. No effort required to protect anything in /etc
23 from updates. A new humongous postfix config file gets installed in
24 /etc/postfix/._cfg<whatever> and your custom config file remains untouched.
25 It just works (tm). But you know that. I’m thinking I don’t at all
26 understand your issue.
30 > I don't want to faff about with special copies, backups, origs etc.
31 > Everything should "just work (tm)".
34 Fair enough! Not expecting that my faffing about would appeal to anyone but
35 me. ;)
36
37 John