From: "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabriel@××××××.org>
To: Don <dlw@×××.net>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:24:49
1 On Sunday 05 December 2004 05:08 pm, you wrote:
2 > My apologies for sending this to you but
3 > I accidently deleted your e-mail in gentoo.users.
4
5 It's allright. I like getting a CC, actually.
6
7 > [root@hei don]# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
8 > [root@hei don]# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
9 > bash-2.05b# env-update
10 >
11 > >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
12 >
13 > bash-2.05b# source /etc/profile
14 > hei / # cd /mnt/gentoo
15 > bash: cd: /mnt/gentoo: No such file or directory
16 > hei / # cd /gentoo
17 > bash: cd: /gentoo: No such file or directory
18 > hei / #
19 > /mnt/gentoo is /dev/hdb5 so I know its there.
20 > I can open it with a file manager.
21 > I'm installing gentoo from a konsole in MDK.
22 > Could that be the problem?
23 >
24 > I get the same thing.
25 > Don
26
27 short answer: You were doing fine. There is no error. Proceed with
28 the next step ('emerge --sync').
29
30 LONG answer:
31
32 You were doing just fine until you did 'cd /mnt/gentoo'. What are you
33 trying to do? Why not just take the next step? (Next step: 'emerge
34 --sync')
35
36 What you are seeing is *not* an error. When you say
37 'chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash' the computer *essentially* does this:
38
39 1. cd /mnt/gentoo
40 2. make /mnt/gentoo to be /
41 3. Run bash as the shell... as if you had booted into gentoo
42 with /mnt/gentoo as your root directory (/).
43 4. All this only effects the konsole session you are running.
44
45 /mnt/gentoo will no longer exist. If it did exist, then it means you
46 messed up.
47
48 Suppose I did the following:
49
50 # ls /
51 foo bar bat
52 # ls /mnt/gentoo
53 alpha beta delta
54 # ls /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo
55 do re mi
56 # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
57 # ls
58 alpha beta delta
59 # ls /
60 alpha beta delta
61 # ls /mnt/gentoo
62 do re me
63
64 Do you get it? In your case, there is no /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo, so
65 when you chroot, the directory /mnt/gentoo no longer exists.
66
67 GOOD LUCK!
70 G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list