From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Intel vulnerability?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 21:14:17
1 On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 3:55 PM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/03/20 19:39, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > They don't detail the effort required. If the firmware is patched it
6 > > sounds like it still requires tinkering with hardware.
7 >
8 > By then it's TOO LATE. The firmware is signed for security, AND LOADED
9 > AT BOOT. But if the boot process is compromised, the attacker simply
10 > doesn't load the patched firmware.
11
12 The patched firmware executes before any software you boot, assuming
13 your device was patched before the hacker got his hands on it.
14
15 Obviously if you lost your laptop last week and the hacker has it in
16 their closet, then they're going to be able to attack the unpatched
17 firmware with a software hack.
18
19 From the descriptions I'm seeing it sounds like the attack against the
20 hardware itself requires physical access to some of the busses. A
21 proper TPM should resist this sort of attack, and that is why this is
22 a vulnerability. However, you can't just stick a USB drive into a
23 computer to hack it if the firmware is patched.
26 > > Yes, but keep in mind the signing keys have nothing to do with disk
27 > > encryption. It is for remote attestation. Hence my Netflix comment.
28 > >
29 > Signing keys have EVERYTHING to do with whether you can trust the CPU.
30 > If you can't trust the CPU, then it can simply read the disk encryption
31 > credentials without any reference to whether it SHOULD read them.
32
33 So, I think you're conflating a few different things here.
34
35 First, trust is a choice you make. Whether you trust the CPU or not
36 makes no difference in whether somebody else can defeat the embedded
37 TPM.
38
39 Second, the signing keys we're talking about are keys embedded in the
40 CPU used by the CPU to sign stuff. These keys aren't used for
41 encrypting anything, and they aren't used for decrypting anything.
42 They're also not used to verify firmware/etc. It would make no sense
43 to put the firmware signing key in the CPU - that key would be locked
44 up at the firmware vendor's HQ with the corresponding public key
45 embedded in the CPUs.
46
47 Don't get me wrong - encryption keys stored in the CPU are compromised
48 by this vulnerability. However, this has nothing to do with the
49 signing keys.
50
51 I suspect that modifying the firmware might also be possible due to
52 this vulnerability, by replacing the public key in the CPU with a new
53 one that you generated. Again, that has nothing to do with the
54 signing keys on the CPU.
55
56 The signing keys should just be associated with remote attestation.
57
58 > And it only takes ONE person to crack that master key ONCE, and
59 > EVERYBODY is up shit creek.
60
61 No - there isn't any master key stored inside an Intel CPU that can be
62 used to compromise the encryption on other hosts. We're talking about
63 the signing keys used for remote attestation.
64
65 Again, Netflix and Intel and similar companies are going to be ticked
66 if that master key is leaked, but it won't have any impact on disk
67 encryption.
68
69 Of course, disk encryption is still compromised by the vulnerability.
70 It just has nothing to do with the master signing keys (which are also
71 model-specific and not completely universal), and hacking any
72 individual device, if patched, will probably still require a
73 hardware-level attack against that specific device.
74
75 > At the end of the day, it's a "tree of trust". And once the root key is
76 > compromised, you can NOT trust ANY key that was secured by said root
77 > key.
78
79 Yup. Fortunately the disk encryption keys are unique to each device,
80 and stored in the compromised TPM hardware. They aren't really
81 secured by a root key in any meaningful way.
84 Rich