From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web browsers crash when trying to print.
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:32:23
1 On Saturday, 15 February 2020 04:54:21 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I first discovered this with Seamonkey. I then tested this with Firefox
5 > and got the same results. When I go to File and select Print, the print
6 > dialog window pops up for just a second and then the web browser
7 > crashes. Both seem to use the same print software. I tried a different
8 > version of Seamonkey but it does the same. I also tested a fresh
9 > profile of Seamonkey as well, Firefox also. I don't print from Firefox
10 > much. Also, if I select Print Preview from the menu, it opens normally
11 > but as soon as I click print, crash.
12 >
13 > I then tried a newer unstable version of cups just in case it would
14 > help. After that, I opened Kwrite and tried to print. Its print dialog
15 > opened and waited for me to hit print. LOo did the same. However, both
16 > of those use a different software or at least they look very different
17 > to print with.
18 >
19 > Usually going back a version or up a version fixes things like this.
20 > Given that this didn't work in this case, I'm not sure where to go. Two
21 > versions of Seamonkey and Firefox both crash. A newer version of cups
22 > and it still crashes. I did a search on BGO and didn't find anything
23 > except for a fixed version of Chrome which I don't have on here. I
24 > suspect it uses different software to print anyway. So no help there.
25 > Forums had a thread that was from 2010. It mentioned a USE flag which
26 > cups doesn't even have anymore. No solution on the forums.
27 >
28 > One other thing that may or may not be related. I did a emerge -e world
29 > a week or so ago. Before that, I could print fine. The reason I did
30 > that was because I switched to a new gcc and I just wanted to be sure
31 > everything was stable. I went from gcc-8 to gcc-9. It may not have
32 > been needed but it was cold here and I didn't mind the extra heat.
33 > Plus, it sometimes fixes other quirks I may not even see. Here is the
34 > info for Seamonkey, Firefox and cups.
37 > root@fireball / # emerge -p seamonkey firefox cups
38 >
39 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
40 >
41 > Calculating dependencies... done!
42 > [ebuild R #] www-client/seamonkey-2.49.9.1_p0::gentoo
43 > USE="chatzilla dbus force-gtk3 gmp-autoupdate ipc jemalloc roaming
44 > startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg
45 > system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -calendar -crypt
46 > -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -jack -minimal (-neon)
47 > -pulseaudio (-selinux) (-system-cairo) -test -wifi"
48 > [ebuild R ~] www-client/firefox-72.0.2::gentoo USE="gmp-autoupdate
49 > screenshot startup-notification system-av1 system-icu system-jpeg
50 > system-libevent system-sqlite system-webp -bindist -clang -custom-cflags
51 > -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel
52 > -jack -lto -pgo -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-libvpx -test -wayland
53 > -wifi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-avx2"
54 > [ebuild R ~] net-print/cups-2.3.1::gentoo USE="X dbus pam ssl
55 > threads zeroconf -acl -debug -kerberos -lprng-compat (-selinux)
56 > -static-libs -systemd -usb -xinetd" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
57 >
58 > Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
59 > root@fireball / #
62 > I try to set the safest USE flags I can. I usually follow things I've
63 > read on this list. If someone thinks changing one will help, I'm
64 > willing to test it. I can always use my test profile that is blank
65 > anyway. That way there will be no data loss even in a worst case
66 > scenario.
67 >
68 > This is the gcc-config -l output.
71 > root@fireball / # gcc-config -l
72 > [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
73 > [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.2.0 *
74 > root@fireball / #
77 > If needed, I could also revert back to gcc-8. It takes a while but it
78 > is doable as a last resort.
79 >
80 > I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
81 > Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software. I'd
82 > think the later since both behave the same way. I'm just not sure.
83 >
84 > Any ideas or thoughts??
85 >
86 > Thanks.
87 >
88 > Dale
89 >
90 > :-) :-)
91
92 I don't have seamonkey to know what it uses, but if it is sharing much with
93 the code base of Firefox, then it is probably using GDBus to communicate with
94 CUPS to print.
95
96 The GUI menu is probably using the Gtk3 widget kit by default, to draw buttons
97 and what not.
98
99 For a better idea launch seamonkey/firefox using a terminal and see what it
100 reports when you try to print.
103 Regards,
104 Mick