From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:03:09
1 On 18 Jan 2010, at 23:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> If we are truly trying to make Linux more accessible, with things
4 >> like
5 >> the plug and play hal offers, should we even be contemplating editing
6 >> config files?
7 >>
8 >> XML is a machine-readable file format that just happens to use ASCII
9 >> characters, it is not meant to be modified by a text editor, so if
10 >> your
11 >> program uses XML configuration files, it should include a means of
12 >> editing those files that does not include the use of vim.
13 >
14 > which almost by definition means you need an xml-information parser
15 > on par
16 > with an xml-parser to figure out what the hell the fields mean, then
17 > design an
18 > intelligent viewer-editor thingy that lets the user add-delete-
19 > change the
20 > information in the xml file. All the while displaying to the user at
21 > least
22 > some information about the fields in view. Shaes of .chm anyone?
23 >
24 > By the time you've done all that and made the thing semi-usable,
25 > you've
26 > expended more effort than if you had written you own xml-parser from
27 > scratch.
30 This doesn't address Neil's suggestion that we *never* edit config
31 files, but assuming programmers are going to continue using XML for
32 this purpose, a dedicated XML editor will surely become a standard on
33 all distros.
34
35 When editing XML files one shouldn't need to be careful of the angle-
36 brackets or the slashes - as one would be editing the file in a text
37 editor like vim or nano - because the XML editor should take care of
38 all that and hide it from the user (on the rare occasions upon which a
39 user does actually need to edit the config).
40
41 If a good XML editor - which treats all XML config files in a standard
42 manner - is available then I see no problem with programmers utilising
43 XML.
44
45 Stroller.