From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:52:42
1 On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:34:27AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > I have three gnome packages installed on this KDE box. One is the
4 > tiny package that started this thread, and is GNOME only in name,
5 > the other two are dependencies of XFCE, which I also have installed.
6 >
7 > I see no GNOME takeover, beyond the fact that many distros are
8 > choosing GNOME as their default desktop.
9
10 My big hate is the ever-growing dependancy list of gtk. Yes I know
11 that it's *NOT* supposed to mean "Gnome Tool Kit", but it seems to be
12 just that. I run ICEWM window manager, but also use gnumeric and
13 abiword which require gtk+. Over the past few years I've seen various
14 new hard-coded dependancies crop up when doing...
15
16 emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --update @world
17
18 adwaita-icon-theme, gtk-engines-adwaita, atk, dbus, harfbuzz,
19 introspection, libepoxy, etc, etc, etc. How long before pulseaudio and
20 systemd show up as hard-coded dependancies?
21
22 I'm old enough to remember a time when people switched to linux
23 because it ran fast on older machines that couldn't run the latest
24 Windows.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications