From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] format ipod shuffle as fat32?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:34:53
1 On Sunday, 20 August 2006 3:47, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
2 > I just got an ipod shuffle, 1gig, for "free". Apparently it has
3 > different partitions for music/data and must by synced with iTunes to
4 > a specific machine?
5 >
6 > Err, is that so?
7 >
8 > If so, can I just format the darn thing and use if for mp3's?
11 > -Thufir
12
13 Windows formatted iPods have 2 partitions, one containing the firmware, the
14 other containing music and other data.
15
16 Formatting the data partition will most likely leave it in a condition where
17 it has to be restored using the apple firmware updater on windows or osx as
18 important files will be deleted.
19
20 Amarok or gtkpod are probably the easiest ways to get music onto the ipod. You
21 can't simply copy music onto the data partition as it requires all the
22 metadata to be in a special database that the previous two programs can
23 generate.
24
25 ps. Surely a mentat would be able to work all this out on their own ;)
28 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list