From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:26:25
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM, pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 > On 2011-09-17 20:36, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> They are standard in the sense that they are a low level communication
5 >> standard API. An IPC is *way* more than that;  dbus is an IPC, because
6 >
7 > https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Inter-process_communication
8 >
9 >> then you have high level "objects" and "methods", no matter the
10 >> language of the two sides of the wire communicating, or even if the
11 >> objects live in the same computer or not.
12 >
13 > Acc. to this link, dbus currently only uses unix sockets (so the
14 > "objects" must live on the same computer)...
15 > https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/D-Bus
16
17 You can use AF_INET and AF_INET6 sockets for dbus messages (I *think*
18 I even remember seeing an implementation), but in practive I believe
19 nobody actually has done it.
20
21 >> is a complete IPC system. Neither sockets, shared memory nor pipes are
22 >> an IPC, because they lack a well defined protocol. You *can* do the
23 >
24 > See above.
25 >
26 > Also:
27 > https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-ipc/
28 >
29 > dbus is installed in my system, but only because I run Xfce4 (I am
30 > thinking of installing something else due to it's becoming bloated just
31 > like gnome). And I have "-dbus" in my global make.conf.
32 >
33 > PS. I am quite astonished at the fact that I have a computer that is
34 > _way_ faster than the first machine I installed GNU/Linux (an Amiga 4000
35 > with a 68040 cpu at 40Mhz) on but the "experience" is still the same; it
36 > takes about the same time to boot, the same time (or even slower) to
37 > load a program. It seems the faster the computer the more I have to wait
38 > for it to finish some task. Contradictory, no? Wonder why that is...
39 > (bloat?).
40
41 I like to call them "new features", but I see your point. I myself
42 prefer the new features. I gladly sacrifice a few cycles from my CPU
43 and a few megabytes from my harddrive to run my GNOME 3 desktop.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés