From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, "Alan J. Wylie" <flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 5.15+ (thru 5.16.5)
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:20:00
1 Thanks for the link. What I'm reading sounds pretty horrible.
2
3 My hardware is:
4
5 Threadripper 3960x.  (some heat dammage, very difficult to cool the SOB,
6 have to check the water levels frequently....), runs OK despite heat
7 dammage. (just CPU and mobo are $2,000)
8
9 video:
10
11 Rusty GTX 980Ti
12
13 I did have to muck with the framebuffer settings to get it to boot in
14 EFI mode.
15
16 Behavior of 5.14 is to show a row of penguins across the top of the
17 screen as the kernel has done for many many years and quickly scroll
18 through the kernel boot and all the other error messages that scroll too
19 fast for me to care about....
22 Alan J. Wylie wrote:
23 > Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> writes:
24 >
25 >> Do any of the kernels post 5.15.0 boot? I tried 5.15.2 and imediately
26 >> wrote off the 5.15 branch because it didn't even boot.
27 >>
28 >> I came back to 5.16.5, same symptom, says "loading linux 5.16.5" and
29 >> then hangs, no further kernel output.
30 >>
31 >> 5.14.20 works great with same config, no known issues.
32 >>
33 >> Now it's possible that something fantasmagorically stupid is going on
34 >> here, as is usual, but for the love of god WHY, just WHY?!?!??!
35 > See the thread on the LKML at
36 > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/d8981e2a-4f61-72bb-e5cc-bf4ded29c08a@××××××××.com/
37 >
38 > Try setting "CONFIG_FB=y"
39 >
40 > I had problems building nvidia-drivers, turning on
41 > "CONFIG_DRM_CIRRUS_QEMU"
42 > worked around the problem
43 >
44 > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/871r3cr08w.fsf@××××××××.uk/