From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:19:27
1 On 26/06/2013 08:32, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 >> I sort of just keep loading it up till I run out of things to leave
3 >> > open, and never notice the difference. This is an 8 core i7 with 16G RAM
4 >> > and 128G SSD - complete total overkill for any rational usage, even a
5 >> > busy devops sysadmin - but we get good prices on the company corporate
6 >> > account
7 > Can you give me the full speclist of your machine with the part-numbers?
8 > I am checking if a new machine will fit my budget and your workload looks
9 > similar to mine :)
10
11 It's a Dell Precision M4600, and you find it in the Workstation section
12 on Dell's website. It's since been superceded by the M4700 which is
13 really just a point upgrade.
14
15 CPU:
16 processor : 0
17 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
18 cpu family : 6
19 model : 42
20 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
21
22 cpu prices vary hugely so I picked a mid-range i7 and used the saving to
23 get 16G ram and maxed out the storage.
24 ATI display to get away from nVidia, I think that was a mistake and next
25 time will be going back to nVidia whose power management actually works.
26 There was some uber-fancy active display on offer too, but I don't need that
27
28 Battery life is shocking :-), make sure you get 9-cell high capacity
29 batteries, my standard 6 cell has *<60 minutes* life. The wife has one
30 too and her's lasts about 100 minutes using Windows
31
32 Cost was ZAR 20k, I don't know if that means anything to you, it's hard
33 to relate ZA prices with price of living in EU
36 >> > It all comes down to what you really *need* as opposed to how much
37 >> > techie-bling you *want* :-)
38 > The *need* versus *want* is always important to keep in mind.
39
40 My employer is generous with laptop allowance and long ago stopped
41 trying to tell those two apart :-)
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com