From: "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting Question...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:25:21
1 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 December 2007 10:50:33 Benjamen R. Meyer wrote:
3 >> I set up a server system a little while ago, and in performing updates
4 >> to portage it ran out of disk space as I didn't quite allow enough space
5 >> on the root partition (3.8 GB).
6 > That's way too much. 256M is enough.
7
8 / is the primary drive for the OS; I typically only off-load to other
9 partitions for user stuff. On the server, I initially only offloaded
10 /home and /usr/local; but in the crisis of the "out of diskspace" issue,
11 I ended up also offloading /var/tmp and /usr/portage.
12
13 >> As a result, I took a partition that I had cleaned up (this was from a
14 >> rebuild of a system that was a different
15 >> distro in the past) and moved over /usr/portage to it. It's a 47 GB
16 >> partition (as reported by df -h) and the system works fine.
17 >> I do realize that if the mount command got screwed up, I'd probably have
18 >> issues recovering the system, but that is that system.
19 >> I am now thinking of converting my desktop over to Gentoo as well, and
20 >> was wondering whether what I did above on the server was wise or not.
21 > I think it is not. You'll undoubtedly get different answers about this,
22 > but IMHO it is best (regardless what kind of system) to use small,
23 > special purpose logical volumes. This way you can add space when needed,
24 > use the filesystem that fits best for the kind of data you store on this
25 > volume and have a certain degree of safety against volume corruption.
26 > Here is what I would recommend for a normal linux system:
27 > [hs]da1: /boot, 64M, ext2
28 > [hs]da2: /, 256M, ext3 or xfs
29 > [hs]da3: LVM
30 > Then, create a volume group spawning [hs]da3 with name vg00 (you can
31 > choose the name freely) and create logical volumes inside:
32 > /dev/vg00/swap: size as needed, swapfs # can be omitted if enough RAM
33 > /dev/vg00/usr: /usr, 2-5G (dep. on number of pkgs), ext3 or xfs
34 > /dev/vg00/var: /var, 512M-1G, ext3 or xfs
35 > For /home, I prefer to have one LV per user, like /dev/vg00/john_doe,
36 > /dev/vg00/jane_doe and have the kernel automounter mount them on demand
37 > (at login time).
38 >> I will be using the server as the portage provider for my desktop too.
39 >> Otherwise, what is the recommended space to have available for the
40 >> portage tree in /usr/portage so I can have root as an appropriately
41 >> sized partition?
42 > Here again, I use the kernel automounter to mount three different LVs
43 > under /gentoo when needed: /dev/vg00/build (5.5G to be able to build
44 > OO.org), /dev/vg00/distfiles for the source packages and
45 > /dev/vg00/overlays for overlays, incl. the portage tree.
46 > On the desktop machine, you should be able to mount distfiles and
47 > overlays from the server via NFS. The build volume I would leave locally
48 > on the desktop to get faster build times (unless your network connection
49 > to your server is faster than harddisc access).
50
51 I don't like using NFS much...guess I'll have to change that as I would
52 like to centralize my server as a one-stop shop for usernames and
53 passwords for the few systems on my network - server, desktop, and a
54 laptop at present, but there will also be a few others shortly too. The
55 laptop runs Windows 2k, so it'll just auth against Samba...any how...to
56 get back to this issue...
57
58 I haven't played with LVM yet. It's been something that's intrigued me,
59 but I haven't ever researched it much to play with it. What you guys
60 propose above and in this thread is quite interesting, so I'll follow up
61 with this question:
62
63 Right now I have the server configured per drives as follows:
64
65 /dev/hda1 / 3.8 GB 4096.19 MB
66 /dev/hda2 /home 15.0 GB 15356.60 MB
67 /dev/hda3 SWAP 2.6 GB 2665.00 MB
68 /dev/hda4 /usr/local 4.9 GB 5255.96 MB
69
70 /dev/hdb1 EMPTY 66.3 GB 67875.02 MB
71 /dev/hdb2 /var/tmp 28.0 GB 30721.43 MB
72 /dev/hdb3 /usr/portage 47.0 GB 51202.37 MB
73 /dev/hdb4 SWAP 10.0 GB 10240.48 MB
74
75 It's only got a 192 MB of RAM - a PII/233, so I'm giving it generous
76 swap space. (My desktop is an AMD64 with a gig of RAM.) I seem to have
77 a sizable partition free (hdb1), so this just might work - but how would
78 you guys propose I transition from the above setup to an LVM setup? All
79 partitions are currently ext3 (my preferred fs for linux).
80
81 I don't think I'd be able to do that on my desktop right now...namely in
82 that rebuilding it from Slackware to Gentoo is going to be trying
83 enough, but I think I can manage it - namely from the side of downtime,
84 but I'd also like to try to fully utilize the AMD64 in the system -
85 meaning 64-bit where possible. Any how...for now, I'd like to hear about
86 the LVM conversion for the server; I'll bring up the other issues later
87 in different threads when I have the time to address them, but the LVM
88 stuff is intriguing enough that I might be able to squeeze it in in
89 short order if I can do it without risking data, or having to rebuild
90 the system.
91
92 Thanks,
93